Immigration Attorneys Who Are Distinguished

Columbus Immigration Attorney: Time Spent on H-4 or L-2 Does not Count Against H-1B or L-1 Period of Stay

May 5, 2010

american flagThis article offers guidance on determining the period of authorized stay for aliens previously in H-4 or L-2 status who have changed their status to H-1B or L-1.

Period of Authorized Stay (H-1B or L-1)

A foreign national may be admitted to the United States in H-1B status for a maximum of six years, with exceptions, and in L-1 status for a maximum of five (specialized knowledge workers) or seven years (managers and executives). At the end of the period of authorized stay, the foreign national must either depart from the U.S. or change to another status (but not from H to L or vice versa).

However, the six year maximum period of stay can be reset upon the H-1B or L-1 visa holder’s absence from the U.S. for at least one year. Hence, once the H-1B or L-1 visa holder reaches their authorized period of stay, then departs the U.S. for one full year, the foreign national is entitled to receive another six year term on H-1B visa or five or seven year term on L-1.

H-4 or L-2 Time Does NOT Count Against H-1B or L-1 Time

According to current USCIS guidance, any time spent in H-4 status will not count againt the six-year maximum period of admission applicable to H-1B foreign nationals. Thus, an alien who was previously an H-4 dependent and subsequently becomes an H-1B principal will be entitled to the maximum period of stay. The same goes for time spent in L-2 dependent status – it will not count against the time available to the alien in L-1A or L-1B status.

The practical implications of this simple rule are resounding. The result is that a husband and a wife who come to the United States as a principal H-1B and dependent H-4 spouse may maintain nonimmigrant status for 12 years! Here’s how – the husband and wife may maintain their respective H-1B and H-4 status for six years and then change status to H-4 and H-1B respectively. This would essentially reset the clock for another six years since H-4 status does not count against time on H-1B. Note that upon the switch, the new principal alien would be subject to the H-1B cap if not independently exempt.


If you have questions about an H-1B visa matter, and/or you need help in an immigration process, please contact our immigration attorneys or call The Law Firm of Shihab & Associates Co., LPA at the nearest office close to you to consult with an attorney. Our law firm handles all matters concerning employment-based immigration. Please contact us and experience how our law firm can assist you in your immigration matters. The Law Firm of Shihab & Associates, Co., LPA has competent, responsive and innovative lawyers who can make your immigration experience pleasant and seamless.

Client Reviews
I had a really hard case then after dealing with many attorneys I decided to work with Mr Shihab and his office and that was the best decision I took, how professional they are, how good and fast they are I was treated from day 1 like a family member not just a client Ramez
Atty. Shihab helped me navigate several issues that I had never faced before... he made it easy and supported me immediately if I had any questions, and his suggestions were top-notch. Avvo user
If you want to hire the best Immigration Attorney, hire Attorney Shihab. He will go above and beyond anyone's expectations, and stays on top of your case. He keeps you informed and up to date on deadlines, interviews and what to expect. Keith
Atty Shihab's record really speaks for itself, but more importantly, each client is treated with the upmost respect and dignity. He and his entire staff makes you feel as if you are the only client in their office. Rhonda
Mr. Shihab was recommended to me when the attorney my sister and I used failed to process our papers on time. From the beginning, I have consistently experienced exemplary service and very thorough knowledge of his profession. Amruta