Immigration Attorneys Who Are Distinguished

J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: For Training Internships and Other Possibilities

The J-1 exchange visitor visa classification as a non-immigrant visa that allows a foreign national to come to the United States to participate in an approved program of teaching, constructing or lecturing, observing, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, receiving training, or to receive graduate medical education training. If you have questions about the J-1 exchange visitor nonimmigrant visa and would like to consult with an attorney, contact The Law Firm of Shihab & Associates. We have over 50 years of combined legal experience in a wide variety of complex and immigration law matters.

The purpose of the exchange visitor program

The stated purpose of the J-1 exchange visitor program visa is to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchanges. Educational and cultural exchanges assist the Department of State in furthering the foreign policy objectives of the United States.

Permissible programs for exchange visitors

In order to qualify for the J-1 visa, you must intend to participate in an approved program for the purpose of teaching, instructing or lecturing, studying, observing, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, receiving training, or to receive graduate medical education or training. Examples of exchange visitors include, but are not limited to: professors or scholars, research assistants, students, trainees, teachers, specialists, nannies/au pairs, and camp counselors.

The exchange visitor must have a J-1 sponsor approved by the DOS

To be eligible for the J-1 you must have a J-1 exchange sponsor. Public and private entities are designated by the US Department of State (DOS) to act as exchange visitor sponsors. The program is also designated by the DOS, the purpose of which is to promote the interchange or persons, knowledge, and skills, in the fields of education, arts, and science. In order to apply for the J-1 visa, you first need to obtain a certificate of eligibility for exchange visitor status form DS-2019, which is provided by your exchange sponsor. Your sponsoring agency should have officials who will work closely with you and assist you with the process. Once you have obtained the DS-2019, the next step is to apply for your J-1 visa from the DOS at a US embassy or consulate.

Permitted length of stay in the US, extensions, and visas for dependents

The J-1 visa for trainees may be valid for a maximum of 18 months, and the J-1 for interns may be valid for a maximum of 12 months. Visa extensions are available if you meet certain criteria. Spouses and children are eligible for J-2 visa status to come with you to the US, and they may also obtain a US work authorization card (EAD) if the income is not necessary to support you. If you would like further information about the J-1 exchange visitor nonimmigrant visa or any other immigration matter, please contact our immigration attorneys at The Law Firm of Shihab & Associates, Co., LPA to schedule a consultation with an attorney at an office near you.

Client Reviews
I had a really hard case then after dealing with many attorneys I decided to work with Mr Shihab and his office and that was the best decision I took, how professional they are, how good and fast they are I was treated from day 1 like a family member not just a client Ramez
Atty. Shihab helped me navigate several issues that I had never faced before... he made it easy and supported me immediately if I had any questions, and his suggestions were top-notch. Avvo user
If you want to hire the best Immigration Attorney, hire Attorney Shihab. He will go above and beyond anyone's expectations, and stays on top of your case. He keeps you informed and up to date on deadlines, interviews and what to expect. Keith
Atty Shihab's record really speaks for itself, but more importantly, each client is treated with the upmost respect and dignity. He and his entire staff makes you feel as if you are the only client in their office. Rhonda
Mr. Shihab was recommended to me when the attorney my sister and I used failed to process our papers on time. From the beginning, I have consistently experienced exemplary service and very thorough knowledge of his profession. Amruta