Columbus Immigration Attorney

Experienced Immigration Lawyers in Columbus, OH and Nationwide

At The Law Firm of Shihab & Associates, our immigration lawyers serving Columbus, OH, Washington, D.C., Fairfax, VA, Southfield, MI, and Cleveland, OH provide knowledgeable and comprehensive guidance and representation in a wide range of matters involving this complex area of the law. Our services extend from helping foreign nationals and their U.S. employers seek employment-based visas and green cards to helping families bring loved ones to the U.S. and helping foreign nationals pursue U.S. citizenship. We also can provide a vigorous defense to foreign nationals who are facing deportation. Headquartered in Columbus, our firm represents individuals and businesses across the U.S. and worldwide.

Our primary practice areas are discussed below. Please feel free to review this information and visit pages dedicated to those specific topics, or you can call our offices at (800) 625-3404 to arrange a consultation and review of your immigration matter.

Explore Our Immigration Services

Investor Visas

U.S. immigration laws allow foreign investors to come to this country and put money into the economy. The EB-5 immigrant visa allows certain investors to obtain permanent residence once they enter the U.S. Applicants need to invest $500,000-$1 million in an American business and take an active role in the business. Treaty trader (E-1) and treaty investor (E-2) visas are also available for an investor who is willing to either invest substantial capital in the American company or carry on substantial trade between his or her country and the U.S.

Work Visas & Employment-Based Green Cards

Many foreign nationals want to work in the U.S. There are numerous work visas available to different types of workers, depending on the purpose of their entry. For example, agricultural workers are eligible to enter the U.S. on an H2-A work visa. Au pairs, professors, teachers, and others who come to the U.S. to experience the educational system or culture and take the experiences back to their home country are eligible to enter on a J work visa, which provides opportunities for cultural and educational exchanges. Foreign nationals may be eligible to become permanent residents if they receive an offer of permanent employment in the U.S. The employer will need to get a labor certification and file an Immigrant Petition for the worker in order to obtain a green card for the worker.

Family-Based Green Cards

You may be eligible to get a family-based green card if you are an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, a family member of a citizen who fits into a preference category, a family member of a green card holder, or a member of a special category, such as a battered spouse or a widower of a U.S. citizen.

K-1 and K-3 Visas

K-1 and K-3 visas are available for foreign nationals who are planning to marry a U.S. citizen or are already the spouse of a citizen. To obtain a fiancé visa, a U.S. citizen must file a petition on behalf of the fiancé and show that he or she plans to marry within 90 days of the fiancé's entry into the country, that both the citizen and the fiancé are free to marry, and that the citizen and fiancé met at least once in person within two years of filing the petition. There are certain exceptions for the last of these requirements.

Deportation/Removal Proceedings

You are only safe from deportability if you have honestly and successfully become a U.S. citizen. The Immigration and Nationality Act provides numerous grounds under which a foreign national may be deported to his or her country of origin. Some grounds for deportation include certain criminal convictions, failing to register as a sex offender, marriage fraud, knowingly helping to smuggle other foreign nationals trying to gain entry, inadmissibility at the time of entry into the country, or a violation of the terms of a green card or visa.

Other Areas of Practice

Our comprehensive immigration practice also handles citizenship, student visas, visitor visas, DACA cases, and asylum petitions, among other matters.

  • Columbus CEO Best Lawyers
  • Super Lawyers: Gus Shihab
  • Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  • AV Martindale Hubbell 1
  • EB Verified
  • Columbus CEO Top Lawyers 2023
  • Columbus CEO Top Lawyers 2023
  • Avvo Clients' Choice 2021
  • 2019 Avvo Choice Award
  • Expertise 2019
  • Avvo 2020
  • Lead Counsel Rated
  • Rues Best Attorneys Lifetime Charter
  • EB Verified
  • Avvo Tob Contributor
  • Avvo Reviews
  • Avvo Clients Choice 2018
  • Avvo 10
  • AV Martindale Hubbell 1
  • Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  • Lawyers of Distinction 2021
  • Super Lawyers: Gus Shihab
  • Super Lawyers: Gus Shihab Selected in 2023
  • Columbus CEO Best Lawyers
  • Expertise
  • Lawyers of Distinction

Hear What Our Clients Have to Say


    “After years of consulting with multiple attorneys in the Columbus area in regards to filing for a Provisional Waiver, my husband and I are extremely thankful to have found Attorney Shihab and his team. When other attorneys told us that filing for this would not be possible, Attorney Shihab confidently assured us that he could assist us in the approval of the Provisional Waiver. Attorney Shihab's experience and expertise in immigration law were always displayed to us whenever we had questions or concerns. He made sure to keep us up to date every step of the way in the process of filing and has always worked efficiently and tirelessly to ensure that our case was a priority. Thanks to Attorney Shihab's detailed preparation and more than sufficient supporting documents, the processing time in filing was always very fast. Not only is he very knowledgeable and professional, but he has also treated us more like family than his clients. We always felt that he genuinely cared about our case. He is highly ethical and honest. He will tell you if there is any path to solve your immigration status and will work hard to ensure that the process is successful. He is definitely the person to go to for any immigration matter. If others have failed or told you it's not possible, don't give up. The solution lies in attorney Shihab's decades of experience. Thank you to Attorney Shihab and his team for the approval of our case, and we would highly recommend his immigration services to anyone in need.”

Secure an Immigration Attorney Today

Our lawyers will individually and clearly explain the visa or green card process and will simplify the complex procedure in small, easy to understand steps.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy

Retaining an Immigration Lawyer is an Important Decision

  • More Than 50 Years of Experience in a Variety of Business, Immigration, and Other Matters
  • Technologically Savvy Law Firm with Implementation of Numerous Tools to Deliver Case Progress
  • US Immigration Services Offered in Columbus, Cleveland, Southfield, & Washington DC
  • Personal and Exceptional Approach to Processing Visas and Working With Our International Clients

Explore Your Options with an Experienced Immigration Lawyer

Whether you are a business trying to bring in foreign nationals under an H1-B visa or the fiancé of a U.S. citizen trying to obtain a K visa, it is important to have an experienced legal professional represent you.

Contact us online at (800) 625-3404 to set up an appointment with a qualified Columbus immigration lawyer.