Immigration Attorneys Who Are Distinguished

Visa Services

Immigration Attorneys Serving Clients Nationwide

At Shihab & Associates, our immigration lawyers provide knowledgeable and comprehensive guidance and representation in matters involving this complex area of the law. Our services extend from helping foreign nationals and their U.S. employers seek employment-based visas and green cards to helping families bring loved ones to the U.S. and helping foreign nationals pursue U.S. citizenship. We also can provide a vigorous defense to foreign nationals who are facing deportation. Based in Columbus, family and work visa attorney Gus M. Shihab represents individuals and businesses nationwide.

Investor Visas

U.S. immigration laws allow foreign investors to come to this country and put money into the economy. The EB-5 immigrant visa allows certain investors to obtain permanent residence once they enter the U.S. Applicants need to invest $500,000-$1 million in an American business and take an active role in the business. Treaty trader (E-1) and treaty investor (E-2) visas are also available for an investor who is willing to either invest substantial capital in the American company or carry on substantial trade between his or her country and the U.S.

Work Visas

Many foreign nationals want to work in the U.S. There are numerous work visas available to different types of workers, depending on the purpose of their entry. For example, agricultural workers are eligible to enter the U.S. on an H2-A work visa. Agricultural employers may file an application requesting temporary foreign agricultural labor certification after meeting certain requirements, including making positive efforts to engage U.S. workers.

Au pairs, professors, teachers, and others who come to the U.S. to experience the educational system or culture and take the experiences back to their home country are eligible to enter on a J work visa, which provides opportunities for cultural and educational exchanges. Sponsors select J work visa participants according to their own eligibility criteria, but all participants must have English language proficiency and meet insurance requirements.

H-1B Visas

An H-1B visa is a popular type of work visa that allows an American company to petition for a foreign national to come to work in a specialty occupation if the company meets certain requirements. The worker must have a bachelor's degree. The worker may have a dual intent, meaning that he or she may plan to come only temporarily or may file an immigration petition while in the U.S.

L-1 Visas

An L-1 nonimmigrant visa is available to employees who are transferred temporarily into the country from a foreign country in order to provide services to a company that has a qualifying business relationship with the employee's employer abroad. Both companies need to do business throughout the employee's time in the U.S. on this visa, and the foreign employee needs to be coming into the U.S. to work as a manager or executive, or in another position that involves specialized knowledge.

Employment Authorizations

People who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents may be eligible for employment authorization as a result of nonimmigrant status, authorization to work for a particular employer as a result of nonimmigrant status, or authorization based on being in a category that requires workers to file for permission to work. The first and third types of workers may apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) with the Form I-765 before they seek work. These are usually granted for a one-year period if a worker is allowed to work for a specific time period or with a particular immigration status, or to renew or replace an EAD.


The Department of Labor and USCIS allow employers that meet certain requirements to apply for Labor Certification and file an Immigration Petition based on the prospective employment of a worker. The employer needs to attest that the position will be full-time, the position is a bona fide job offer available to American workers, the job qualifications arise from business necessity rather than being designed to match a particular worker's qualifications, the job meets prevailing wage requirements, employing the foreign worker will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of American workers, and there are not any qualified American workers who are qualified and available to accept the job offer. The employee must maintain a valid immigration status and meet the requirements of the specific job at the time the Labor Certification is filed.

Employment-Based Green Cards

Foreign nationals may be eligible to become permanent residents if they receive an offer of permanent employment in the U.S. The employer will need to get a labor certification and file an Immigrant Petition for the worker in order to obtain a green card for the worker.

Family-Based Green Cards

You may be eligible to get a family-based green card if you are an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, a family member of a citizen who fits into a preference category, a family member of a green card holder, or a member of a special category, such as a battered spouse or a widower of a U.S. citizen.

K-1 and K-3 Visas

K-1 and K-3 visas are available for foreign nationals who are planning to marry a U.S. citizen or are already the spouse of a citizen. To obtain a fiancé visa, a U.S. citizen must file a petition on behalf of the fiancé and show that he or she plans to marry within 90 days of the fiancé's entry into the country, that both the citizen and the fiancé are free to marry, and that the citizen and fiancé met at least once in person within two years of filing the petition. There are certain exceptions for the last of these requirements.


To become a U.S. citizen through the naturalization process, you must be at least 18 years old and a permanent resident with a green card for at least five years. Also, you must show that you have lived continuously in this country for at least five years before filing the application for naturalization, prove that you have been physically present for at least 30 months of the five years immediately before filing the application, prove that you have lived at least three months in the state or district where you apply, show your attachment to the values of the U.S. Constitution and be a person of good moral character, be able to read and write basic English, understand American history and government, and take an oath of allegiance to the country.

NAFTA (TN Visas)

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) provides that there are special trade relationships among the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. Canadian and Mexican citizens may apply for a TN nonimmigrant visa in order to temporarily enter the U.S. to engage in professional business activities. Certain professionals, such as engineers, scientists, and lawyers, may qualify, but they must have a pre-arranged part-time or full-time job with a U.S. employer and meet other criteria.

Deportation/Removal Proceedings

You are only safe from deportability if you have honestly and successfully become a U.S. citizen. The Immigration and Nationality Act provides numerous grounds under which a foreign national may be deported to his or her country of origin. Some grounds for deportation include certain criminal convictions, failing to register as a sex offender, marriage fraud, knowingly helping to smuggle other foreign nationals trying to gain entry, inadmissibility at the time of entry into the country, or a violation of the terms of a green card or visa.

Other Areas of Practice

Our comprehensive immigration practice also handles student visas, visitor visas, DACA cases, and asylum petitions, among other matters.

Explore Your Options with an Experienced Immigration Lawyer

Whether you are a business trying to bring in foreign nationals under an H1-B visa or the fiancé of a U.S. citizen trying to obtain a K visa, it is important to have an experienced immigration attorney represent you. From our Columbus offices, Shihab & Associates represents people and businesses throughout the U.S., including in New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Denver, Miami, Phoenix, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington, D.C., St. Louis, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Detroit, Philadelphia, San Bernardino, Riverside, San Diego, Tampa, and St. Petersburg. Contact us at 877-479-4872 or via our online form to set up an appointment with a green card attorney.

Client Reviews
I had a really hard case then after dealing with many attorneys I decided to work with Mr Shihab and his office and that was the best decision I took, how professional they are, how good and fast they are I was treated from day 1 like a family member not just a client Ramez
Atty. Shihab helped me navigate several issues that I had never faced before... he made it easy and supported me immediately if I had any questions, and his suggestions were top-notch. Avvo user
If you want to hire the best Immigration Attorney, hire Attorney Shihab. He will go above and beyond anyone's expectations, and stays on top of your case. He keeps you informed and up to date on deadlines, interviews and what to expect. Keith
Atty Shihab's record really speaks for itself, but more importantly, each client is treated with the upmost respect and dignity. He and his entire staff makes you feel as if you are the only client in their office. Rhonda
Mr. Shihab was recommended to me when the attorney my sister and I used failed to process our papers on time. From the beginning, I have consistently experienced exemplary service and very thorough knowledge of his profession. Amruta