Immigration Attorneys Who Are Distinguished

Colleges & Universities

The staffing challenges facing today's colleges and universities are greater and more varied than at any time in American history. The Law Firm of Shihab and Associates understands that the staffing needs of America's colleges and universities vary dramatically from the needs of other business entities and organizations. Simply put, colleges and universities in the United States need to attract the world's top talent. Our lawyers have years of experience representing colleges and universities to attract and retain world class faculty and staff in H–1B, green card, National Interest Waivers, special handling and other immigration concerns.

Below Is A List Of Immigrant Solutions For Those Employees Who Require A Permanent Position

Related Articles

Nonimmigrant visa solutions for college and university faculty and other professionals

Aliens of Extraordinary Abilities

Outstanding Professors and Researchers

National Interest Waivers

Special Handling Labor Certification for College and University teachers


This preference category allows foreign university employees who possess extraordinary abilities in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics to petition for an immediate green card. This petition allows for the candidate to apply for a green card, even without a petitioning employer. If you have risen to the very top of your field of endeavor and have sustained international acclaim, our lawyers can assist you in filing for your immediately available green card.


Outstanding Professors or Researchers may be sponsored by their college or university employers or may self petition for an immediately available immigrant visa under the EB–1(2) preference category. Applicants who have been internationally recognized as outstanding in a specific academic area may qualify. This immigrant visa is available to tenured professors, tenure track professors, or those entering to conduct research in a position that does not have a limited duration.


College and university employees who hold advanced degrees or their equivalent, or those who possess exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business and will substantially benefit the national economy, culture, education, or welfare of the United States may apply for a Green Card under this category. This category requires a Labor Certification normally acquired following the PERM process although special waivers may be available for the National Interest or Professional Medical Graduates.


This immigrant visa category is open to professionals holding a bachelors degree (or equivalent), skilled workers, or other workers. All immigrants seeking to utilize this category must go through the PERM process. This category is a popular immigration option for staff as well as faculty.


The Federal Government has recognized that America's colleges and universities require the world's top talent to staff their faculty positions. Accordingly, colleges and universities are permitted to bypass many aspects of the PERM recruitment process when hiring qualified teaching positions. This altered recruitment process is referred to as special handling. It is an alternate recruitment process to the PERM process. By reducing the costs associated with many aspects of the PERM process, special handling can provide an excellent means of recruitment for colleges and universities.


Many colleges and universities choose to utilize the H-1B program to attract foreign nationals on a temporary basis. This program is a great solution for retaining staff as well as faculty.

How to Contact Us

If you have questions about an immigration visa or green card matter for a college or university faculty member, researcher, or other such professional, and/or you need help in an immigration process, please contact our immigration attorneys or call The Law Firm of Shihab & Associates, Co., LPA at the nearest office close to you to consult with an attorney. Our law firm handles various matters including Green Cards and Permanent Residence, family immigration, immigrant visas, non–immigrant visas, employment visas and H-1B visas, Investor Visas, PERM applications, and many more. Please contact us and experience how our law firm can assist you in your immigration matters. Whether you are an employer, an employee or a family member, The Law Firm of Shihab & Associates, Co., LPA has competent, responsive, and innovative lawyers who can make your immigration experience pleasant and seamless.

Client Reviews
I had a really hard case then after dealing with many attorneys I decided to work with Mr Shihab and his office and that was the best decision I took, how professional they are, how good and fast they are I was treated from day 1 like a family member not just a client Ramez
Atty. Shihab helped me navigate several issues that I had never faced before... he made it easy and supported me immediately if I had any questions, and his suggestions were top-notch. Avvo user
If you want to hire the best Immigration Attorney, hire Attorney Shihab. He will go above and beyond anyone's expectations, and stays on top of your case. He keeps you informed and up to date on deadlines, interviews and what to expect. Keith
Atty Shihab's record really speaks for itself, but more importantly, each client is treated with the upmost respect and dignity. He and his entire staff makes you feel as if you are the only client in their office. Rhonda
Mr. Shihab was recommended to me when the attorney my sister and I used failed to process our papers on time. From the beginning, I have consistently experienced exemplary service and very thorough knowledge of his profession. Amruta